Sustainable gifting is a growing trend for businesses. It’s becoming more and more evident that humanity is paying close attention to what they buy, and who, or what their purchases support. If you have a gifting programme as part of your customer relations strategy, it makes sense to align with this shift. If your customers are more conscious of where they spend their own money and dedicate time to discerning the origins and practices of the companies they buy from, gifts that fail to match their ideals will stand out for all the wrong reasons. And by extension, this may have a negative impact on how your clients perceive your brand.
Most companies understand the value of gifting, though often don’t apply the concept of thoughtful gifting. Customers know when your gesture of thanks is an ill-considered token. Smart marketers are applying clever strategies to deliver more meaningful gifts that really connect with their clients and build stronger relationships.
Here’s a few tips to advance your gifting strategy:
- Your gift selection needs to reflect the values and personality of your brand. Something unique and memorable, that makes a statement about who you are as a company will have a more lasting impression. We are talking about the actual choice of gifts here, as opposed to branding, which brings us to our next point…
- Don’t be tempted to over-brand. If your gift box contains five or six items, just brand a couple of them – and do so discretely. Applying a simple monogram, or logo device without your brand name will mean your gift is more likely to be used. It’s not going to feel like a genuine gift if your customers feel they are being used for advertising. Brand the gift box and gift card, by all means, of course.
- Take the time to really get to know your clients and get a sense of the things they love to receive, the things they need, the things they value. Accepting that everyone is different, you will at least gain a consensus of what is popular among your audience. To take your gifting a step further, listen out for the specific likes, needs and passions of your clients, and add one or two elements into your gift box that is truly unique to them, and possibly personalised. This allows you to benefit from bulk purchasing your gifts, while delivering something that feels really special.
- Accepting that some items of your gift package may be consumable, try to include others that will last for many years and will become a part of your clients’ lives. They will remember you every time they use it, and if you’ve applied the gifting strategy from our previous point, will make them smile at the memories you have created together.
- Create values to assess your gifts against and maintain consistency of your gift ethos. At Cadeau + Bliss, for example, we established early on, that every product we offer must be either beautiful or useful – and preferably both.
- Consider the materials and origins of your gift components. Many Australians are seeking out Australian-made products, and are also looking for naturally derived items, responsibly source.
- Depending on your business, it’s a good idea to map out your customer journey and think about ways to delight your clients with surprise gifts to celebrate milestones along the way. These do not have to be extravagant or expensive items – just small tokens that demonstrate you’ve been paying attention to your client and listening. Don’t underestimate the impact of small, thoughtful gestures like this.
- Make your gifting sustainable. Without detracting from the beauty and value of the gift in question, seeking out items that are eco-friendly too, will take your gifting to the next level. It shows that you’ve not only put a great deal of effort into curating the perfect gift for your client, but that you care about the planet as well. People love luxurious gifts that are also sustainable made, and embracing this policy showcases your commitment to environmental responsibility, building additional customer loyalty.
So what should you look for to craft the perfect sustainable gift?
- Seek out products of natural materials, such as wood, cotton, linen, jute, hemp, or cork, for example. Avoid anything plastic or items that are non-biodegradable.
- Gadgets are always popular, but look out for new technologies that are energy-saving, or multi-use.
- Plant or seed gifts are becoming more prevalent and have the added benefit of improving your clients’ environment.
- Look for products that are being prepared with care, love and attention to detail. Preferably locally-sourced, to limit lines of transportation. Include information in your gift package that tells the story of your products.
- We've known recycling for a while now, though it's still extremely important when it comes to sustainability. Upcycling is a way of recycling that results in a product of equal or even higher quality after it's been processed.
If you are still harbouring any illusion that sustainability is a fad that will dissipate, think again – in fact, all available evidence and market research indicates the desirability of eco-friendly products, and the responsible practices of companies will only increase. It makes sense to get ahead of the curve and transition your gift purchasing to more responsible and sustainable sources.
REIA President, Hayden Groves recently noted in an Elite Agent article,
“No matter which way you look at it, environmental protection is a big theme in the real estate industry, and earlier this year the REIA outlined its focus in 2022 would be on people and sustainability. President Hayden Groves says demand for sustainable homes is increasing and you should highlight eco-friendly property features in your marketing campaigns.”
Cadeau + Bliss sustainable gifting
At Cadeau + Bliss, we currently offer many sustainable and locally sourced products and are actively working to expand our collections in this vein. Our mission is to create desirable, usable, and memorable, customised gifts that evoke luxury and bliss. We focus on locally sourced products to support Australian businesses.
It’s our aim to create a collaborative community that gives small businesses and producers a voice and the space to grow and thrive – a community that radiates warmth and positive impact.
- Our soy candles are non-toxic and longer lasting that traditional wax candles.
- Our dishwash and handwash items from Barkly Basics are Australian made, SLS/SLES and paraben-free, eco-friendly and grey-water safe - and supplied in a beautiful re-fillable, re-usable and recyclable PET bottle. Forgive us the indulgence of sharing a few kind words from the lovely Natasha, Director of Barkly Basics. So great to work with people like Natasha, who share our values and believe simplicity is the key to understated beauty and an organised life.
“Barkly Basics has been working with Caroline from Cadeau & Bliss for the past 3 years supplying her with products for her beautiful gift boxes. Caroline is always at the forefront of what’s new and upcoming and strives to excite her clients buy not only providing them with beautiful gifting options but also with practical, eco-friendly Australian made products like ours. With our brands aligned on the monochrome front, it is a pleasure to work with such a great operator!"
- Our stunning camphor and laurel cutting boards are naturally and permanently anti-bacterial, kiln-dried to prevent cracking, warping and mould, and again are lovingly crafted right here in Australia.
- We are loving our range of kitchen and bathroom cleaners from Australian producer Koala Eco – all products are certified non-toxic, non-allergenic, and vegan.
- And we’ll shortly be adding some beautiful self-watering plant gifts, natural cleaning brushes, laundry pegs, dryer balls, and organic cotton mesh shopping bags, from Australian businesses dedicated to preserving rainforests, and who practice plastic-free shipping.
Stay tuned to our website for updates as we build our sustainable collections even further.
A business with no sustainable development goals is at a severe disadvantage in today’s marketplace. For those with strong sustainability credentials, corporate gifting is an excellent vehicle for demonstrating your values and showing how your responsible practices are extended through every last detail of your business.
It may take a little more effort to update your gifting strategy, but you will end up giving meaningful gifts, that matter.